What is a Outlaws MC 1%er Today
by Vulture 1%er
If you read the papers or listen to the news, the media and law enforcement agents have redefined the term "1%er".
As we all know the term was first used in the 60’s to describe some of the people that attended the motorcycle events back then. The AMA (American Motorcycle Association) stated that 99% of the people at their events were god fearing and family oriented. The other 1%er were hard riding, hard partying, non mainstream type people. Thus the term 1%er was born. Some of the early bikers embraced the term and decided to call themselves 1%ers.
It did not mean that they were law breakers or low life individuals. They were simply men that rode their motorcycles seven days a week in all kinds of weather, liked to drink and raise a little hell. Sometime during the 80’s law enforcement changed the meaning of the 1%er to what they wanted it to represent. It didn’t matter that their meaning was incorrect, they just spoon fed it to the general public and the courts as they had so many other things.
The Outlaws Motorcycle Club is rich in history and tradition. One of those traditions is the wearing of a 1%er patch on our vests and referring to ourselves as a 1%er club. The 1%er definition as we see it is one that explains our commitment to Biking and Brotherhood. We ride our motorcycles every day rain or shine. We ride thousands of miles each year with our Brothers to attend parties, social events, funerals and just plain spending time together. We work, have families and do all the things that our neighbors do. In addition to that we belong to a Brotherhood that we are able to combine with our day to day lives.
To say that 1%er’s are criminals or people of a lesser moral code than the rest of society is a tainted opinion. The Outlaws Motorcycle Club is not a criminal organization. It is a motorcycle club. We have learned from the mistakes in our past and have worked quite hard to make our club a leader in the efforts of many clubs and bikers to insure that the 1%er lifestyle will continue to grow and stay a part of tradition for the coming generations of those bikers that have the same commitment to Biking and Brotherhood that the past and present 1%er’s have left to them.
We may not live by the rules of society, but we do live by it’s laws.